Today we heard from Bob Pautke of LEAD Clermont.
Bob asked, “What is leadership?” The answer: “Leadership is influence” or “Observable behaviors.” Then Bob asked, “Leadership is not? The answer: “Not genetic.” Leaders are not “great by birth” or “poor by birth” but rather, leaders are developed. There is a leader inside of every one of us.
Bob shared five practices of extraordinary leadership from “The Leadership Challenge”:
- Model the way - Understanding the values of yourself or an organization and modeling the way
- Inspire a shared vision - inspire a vision a person can understand to enlist others into the vision
- Challenge the process - don’t just stand on the status quo but seek others to challenge the process
- Enable others to act - train, encourage & empower others to enable them to take action
- Encourage the heart - saying thank you for small and large things; every person operates from the heart
LEAD Clermont is a 21+ year old organization that came out of “The Future Agenda” and was housed within an organization called “Clermont 20/20.” The goal was to inspire a shared vision for our community through training, development and deployment. This is a 10 month program that runs from July to March. The year kicks off with an alumni grill and then a 2 day retreat. Leadership training meets once per month for a full day. They also do half-day historical leadership tours to learn about our past county leaders. Every LEAD student develops a personal leadership plan in which they invite others to observe them and hold them accountable to development.
Each class involves a leadership piece and a county piece.
- Leaders accountability team
- Business case
- 5 practices and ethic
- Experiential learning
- Economic development
- Education, government and infrastructure
- Health and Human Services
- Safety and Justice
- Quality of life
After graduation, students join the alumni association which is designed for them to take on important county projects that no one else can or will do.
Bob asked that we would submit applicants from our organization and networks. The cost is $2000 for the year. LEAD’s website is http://www.clermontchamber.com/lead-clermont.html
Next week we will be having our Pass the Gavel Breakfast.