Today we heard from Sharon Strickland who is a Yoga Instructor. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yoga means to yoke or unite. It has been around for 3000 years and was originated by Buddhists. There are 8 limbs of Yoga: Check out http://www.yogajournal.com/article/beginners/the-eight-limbs/
What happens to the brain when we meditate? What are brain stages?
- Beta stage - active, fear, stress, anxiety
- Alpha stage - Creativity, in the zone, peak performance, where we should be most times
- Theta - Meditation, relaxed vigilance, ability to recall that’s not present in the Beta or Alpha stage.
- Delta - Sleeping
What are the benefits of increasing alpha brain waves?
- Reduce stress and nervousness
- Clear thoughts
- Higher level of creativity
- Increase problem solving and decision making
- Improve mood and stability o emotions
- Improve overall performance in the zone
- Super learning and enhanced memory
- Enhanced immune system
- Increase Serotonin levels (mood regulator)
What are methods to increase
- Meditation or prayer - think about 1 thing or task
- Deep breathing
- Green tea, amino acid, L-theanine increases dopamine (neuro-transmitter)
- Saunas, steamrooms
- Quiet/meditative walks
Next week we will have our students of the month.